Journalism cover letter
View this sample cover letter for journalism, or download the journalist cover letter template in Word.
As a journalist, you know the importance of exceptional writing and storytelling. To be considered for top journalism jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a journalist, or download the journalism cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn more about media careers and editorial careers, as well as look for journalism jobs on Monster.
Journalism cover letter template
Sometown, MA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Portfolio URL
October 4, 2017
Mr. Chad Dallas
4350 West Ave.
Sometown, MA 55555
Dear Mr. Dallas:
As a journalism and mass communications major at XYZ University preparing to graduate next month, I am eager to launch my career in newspaper journalism. Your news reporter opening advertised on Monster is an excellent match to my qualifications.
While studying at XYZ, I gained experience as a:
- News reporter intern at DEF News, where I wrote news and feature articles of interest to Sometown-area residents.
- Reporter and editor at The Gold Standard (XYZ’s student newspaper), where I earned a “National Pacemaker Award” (considered to be the “Pulitzer Prize” of American college student journalism) for my series on a fraternity hazing.
- Blogger for Somedomain.com, a student-run news website covering the local and national political scene that I co-launched and grew to 7,500 subscribers. In this role, my colleagues and I produced short-form videos as well as long-form features for daily newscasts.
- Sports reporter covering the university’s football and basketball teams for XYZ’s website.
In both classroom and work settings, I earned a reputation as a dedicated journalist with a passion for accurately covering important issues and events, engaging readers and helping fuel positive change.
It would be an honor to report for your award-winning newspaper and work with your talented team of writers and editors. I am confident that my experience publishing and promoting content on social media and delivering on multiple platforms would benefit your newspaper as you move to digital delivery.
You may review my résumé and news clips at somedomain.com. Thank you!
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Customize your cover letter to the job ad
Found an ad for a job that seems perfect? Use the job posting to customize your cover letter.
Found the perfect job through an ad? Before you whisk off your resume and cover letter, study the ad to determine how your qualifications match the employer's requirements. Armed with this information, you can craft a cover letter that positions yourself as the ideal candidate.
For example, look at this sample job ad:
Outside Sales Rep
Our client, a fast-growing, Staten Island, NY-based software company has an opening for an outside sales professional.
- A minimum of 3 years' outside business-to-business experience selling enterprise software
- The ability to develop a list of prospects, build a pipeline of opportunities and close business
- A proven background working within a quota and exceeding sales targets
- Ability to demonstrate software and manage a complex sales cycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Availability to travel at least 50%
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Competitive base salary plus commission and company car.
- Average first year income $85K+.
- Full benefits
- Quarterly sales contests
If you are a true sales hunter and an energetic self-starter with the desire to be part of a fast-growing software firm, submit your resume and cover letter to Brandon Marks at BMarks@somedomain.com. Reference #28903888.
A job posting’s Requirements section provides a roadmap you can address point-by-point in your cover letter to build your case to get called for the interview.
Let’s take a look at a cover letter, written by Susan, a fictional job seeker. See how she leverages information from the job posting, and then get to work on tailoring your own cover letters in similar ways -- the extra work can make a big difference in your job search.