We all have bad habits. They take shape when an act is performed repeatedly. Eventually, it becomes a habit which we tend to do without realizing about it. In a way, our subconscious mind controls our habit, activating it depending upon the circumstances.
If any of your habit is creating havoc in your life, then you know for sure that you need to get rid of that bad habit before it takes control over your life. Whether it�s a minor nail biting habit or a major life changing one, all habits can be eradicated for good. As such, it might be a discouraging process considering the fact that you will not achieve overnight success when it comes to stopping a particular habit.
However, this reality should not dishearten you as habits are meant to be deep rooted within us, and you might be challenged to the extreme to eliminate it. Willpower is the key when it comes to overcoming a bad habit that you might be practicing for several years voluntarily or involuntarily. You will often witness a combat between will and desire.
For instance, you may want to get rid of your weight desperately, but your desire to have a chocolate will often act as a barrier to your mission. That�s where your willpower will come into play. It�s also important that you do not feel isolated and deprived, rather be focused on the task in hand. Visualize how you are going to appear after few months, and gather enough motivation to fight over the unwanted compelling desire.
It�s always a good idea to replace a bad habit with a good habit. Remember, the whole idea of forming a habit was to fulfill a need or desire. Once you get rid of the bad habit, you might still have a carving to fulfill your needs. A wise mind would not go back to the earlier active habit, but rather seek another good alternative habit. Replacing bad habits with good ones are a great way to overcome them.
For instance, if you are someone who cannot go to sleep without having something sweet like chocolate, ice-cream etc, then you can have sweet fruits like apple, mango before going to bed. This will not only give you a good sleep, but will also leave your more satisfied.
Stick to the basics and write down your goals on a piece of paper. This will help you to stick to your goals. Stick the paper in your cupboard or any other noticeable place, in order to ensure that your goals are within your eye sight all the time.
It might be very difficult to combat the constant urge to continue with the bad habits. It�s recommended that you resort to some techniques like breathing and meditation to reduce the urge.
Remember, change is not an overnight process, and bad habits die hard. That being said, there are truckloads of people who have been able to get rid of their bad habits with sheer determination and effective measures. Don�t feel trapped by your bad habits, rather start working on them so that you can pave goodbye to them, once and for all.
Related Articles And Other Topics
- Smoking Needs to Stop
- Internet Trolls: The Few ‘Bad Eggs’
- Conspicuous Consumption: an Analysis of Class, Family, and Spending Habits
- Don DeLillo's White Noise novel and Malcolm Gladwell's Big and Bad article
- Is Conformity to Group Norms a Good or Bad Thing?
- Why Corporations Are Bad for America
- Something Good Coming out of Something Bad: The BP Oil Spill
- Is Magical Thinking Good or Bad
- Violent Video Games Are Not Bad for Kids
- Denying Health Care to Immigrants
- Factors Affecting the Study Habits and Attitudes of 1st Yr Bsa Student of Pup-Src
- Bad Effects of Technology
- Research Proposal Thesis, Major Points, & Plan
- The 8th Habit, Chapter 8 Review
- Using Animals in Research is Bad!
- Implementing a Healthy Life Style and Proper Eating Habits Is Critical to Obese People
- The Effect of Study Habits on the Academic Performance
- Watching Tv Is Bad for Children (Argumentative Essay)
- Bad Education
- Why Working Mothers are Bad for the Family
- Bad Leadership Skills in Black Hearts by Jim Frederick
- Childhood Obesity
- Negative Consequences of Employees Smoking in the Workplace
- Bad Debt Expense Memo
- Poor Eating Habits have Changed the Look of our Youth
- Influencers on Yound Adults
- Are Sports Bad for Kids?
- Article Analysis of 'Habits of Mind'
- Is Technology Good or Bad for Today´s Youth?
- The Good, the Bad, and the Apathetic
- Commentary on Lorna Sage, Bad Blood (2000)
- Teen Smoking is Bad
- Video Games: Good or Bad?
- A Complex Behaviour Change: Failing to Address the Habit Behind the Behaviour.
- Why Good Accountants Do Bad Audits
- My Life After Reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens"
- Visual Analysis Paper
- Bugs for Breakfast is a very interesting video on the nature and habits of the people and what they like to eat
- Suki Kim's Facing Poverty with a Rich Girl's Habits
- Causes of Smoking Habit Among Teenagers
- Energy Sources: Out with the Bad, In with the Renewable
- The Good, the Bad, and the Genetically Modified Organisms
- Teen Shopping Habits
- Examples of Good an Bad Essays
- Whether Abortion is Good or Bad for Our Society
- Factors Affecting Study Habits
- Hygiene and Cleanliness
- Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
- Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People
- Reading Habits Among Youth
- Unions, Bad for America
- Romeo and Juliet: Fate or Bad choices?
- Is Drinking too much Coffee Bad or Good?
- Book Censorship: Good or Bad?
- Bad Blood: the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment
- Good Boss Versus Bad Boss
- Cigarette Smoking is a Costly and Deadly Habit!
- The Electric Vehicle: Good or Bad?
- Taking a Look at Stress
- Images of Women in Sport: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Bad Blood: The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment
- Chapter 1 in Research About Computer Games Addiction
- Genetically Modified Organisms: Good or Bad?
- The Bad Guy, or Not? Social Media Influence on Self-Perception
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Personal Statement
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey
- Argumentative Research Paper: Parents Responsible for Childhood Obesity
- The College Diet and Its Effect On Eating Habits
- Are Video Games Bad for Children?
- Rex and Rosemary Walls: Really Bad Parents
- Noble Lies in Breaking Bad and The Dark Knight
- Is K-Pop a Good Influence or Bad Influence?
- Good and Bad of Customer Service
- Work over Family: Good or Bad?
- Odysseus' Bad Decisions
- Why do bad things happen to good people?
- Fast Food Restaurants, Childhood Obesity, and Healthy Eating Habits
- Speech on Healthy Eating Habits
- Are Zoos Good or Bad for Animals?
- Obesity in Children Research Paper
- The Bad Influence of Movies on Our Children
- Fast Food is Bad For Humans and Other Living Things
- Bad Table Manners